- Persons living, working, attending school or worshipping in these Georgia counties:
- Wayne County
- Long County
- Once you become a member of the credit union, your immediate family members become eligible to enjoy lifetime membership at Altamaha Federal Credit Union. Eligible family members include those related by blood, marriage or adoption.
About Credit Unions
Not for Profit, Not for Charity, but for Service
- In credit unions, members are owners not just “customers.” Members control their credit unions; each member has one vote. Only members can use their services.
- Credit unions’ volunteer representatives serve on the Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee.
- Credit unions are nonprofit – surplus funds returns to members as dividends, reduced loan rates and service improvement.
- Credit unions help member gain economic independence, no matter their income, and educate their members in finance and current events.
- Credit union cooperate with each other, worldwide, out of concern for their members.
When it comes to our community, AFCU continues the credit union philosophy of “People Helping People”. We consider it our responsibility to give back to the communities we serve. You will find AFCU supporting and our employees participating in numerous community projects such as:
- Relay for Life (Wayne & Long Counties)
- March of Dimes
- Food Drives for Good Samaritan Centers
- Meals prepared and served for Tabitha’s Place
- Wayne County Toy Drive
- Wayne County Exchange Club
- High School Scholarships (3 $1500.00 each year)
- Chamber of Commerce
- School Groups and Clubs in Wayne & Long Counties
- Sponsor AARP Driving Classes
- Long County Wildlife Festival Sponsor
- Participate in Trunk or Treat at Smiley Elementary School
- Rocky makes special appearances
- Perfect attendance bicycles for Martha Rawls Smith Elementary
- Arbor Day Tree Planting in February at Bill Morris Recreational Park
- Participate in Easter Egg Hunt at Coastal Manor Nursing Home in Ludowici
It is important our members know that one of AFCU’s core values is to give back to the communities we serve, both socially and economically. AFCU also wants top thank our members for their support in these projects. Without the members donations for food drives, toy drives, purchases of baked items and tickets for drawings these projects would not have been possible.
Thank you for supporting our efforts to give back to our communities.
College Scholarships Available for AFCU Members
Altamaha FCU will award three scholarships for the 2018-19 college year, one of which will be to a student of a Long County high school and two to students of a Wayne County high school. Recipients are chosen through a random drawing of all eligible applicants and will be announced at the honors program for graduation at the recipients’ respective schools.
Eligibility and more information is provided on the application. Deadline for application and other documentation is April 13, 2018.
Applications may be picked up at the credit union office in Jesup, Screven, or Ludowici.
Applications may be picked up at Wayne or Long County High School.
Who We Are
The Altamaha Federal Credit Union was chartered by NCUA in May of 1955 (named Rayonier Employees Federal Credit Union) to serve employees of Rayonier, a pulp mill located in Jesup, GA. The office was on the mill premises until 1984 when it was moved to a leased space in downtown Jesup. The charter was expanded at that time to take in Select Employee Groups. Products such as share drafts, certificates of deposit and home equity loans were added to the regular share and loan accounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I apply for a loan?
Applying for a loan with Altamaha Federal Credit Union is a quick and easy process. We offer a few options for your convenience. You may apply online, in person at one of our three locations, or over the phone with our loan sales representative. Our online application can be found on our website under the loan tab. You can expect a response within 24 business hours from the time of your submission. We have loan applications available for you to fill out at all of our branches. The quickest and most convenient way to apply for a loan is to simply call in and we can take your information over the phone. You can call into any of our three locations and ask to speak with our lending department.
2. How long do I have to be a member before I can apply for a loan?
You may apply for a loan as soon as you become a member. There are no membership time requirements for loan qualifying.
3. How do I add/remove a joint member to/from my account?
To add a member you will need to complete a new signature card, which you and the joint member sign where indicated. To remove a joint member, all joint members of the account need to agree to the removal, or the account can be closed and remaining joint members may open a new account.
4. How do I change my payroll deduction?
Payroll deduction is an agreement between you and your employer. Payroll deduction change forms are available from your employer and should be filed with them. When changing deductions, remember to indicated the total amount you want deducted from your check and forwarded to the credit union.
5. Direct Deposit Questions
A. Why should I use Direct Deposit?
- Safe – Your paycheck is protected against loss or theft.
- Worry-free – Now you can be assured that your check is deposited, even when you're away from home.
- Saves time – You no longer have to make special trips to the credit union or stand in long lines on payday.
- Convenient – No more waiting for the mailman. Your deposits will be made for you automatically, allowing you to set your own timetable for getting cash.
B. How do I apply?
Our Member Service Representatives have all the necessary forms. If you wish, they will be happy to fill them in for you. All you have to do is tell them how you want your money distributed and sign your name. Altamaha FCU will take care of everything else.
C. How will I be able to keep track of my money?
Your check stub from your paycheck is your permanent record. You can also use Personal Credit Union (online access) or Audio Response to check your balance at any time. Personal Credit Union and Audio Response access is free to qualified members.
D. Is there a charge for this service?
This service is free to all participating Altamaha FCU members.